Florida Personal Injury Lawsuits
Landmark Cases, Verdicts, & Lawsuit Settlements
Our Florida personal injury lawsuit attorneys have successfully represented clients in the courtroom for a combined total of more than 90 years, completing more than 300 jury trials. Each case is unique, and the result in one case does not necessarily indicate the quality or value of another case. Our mission is to aid and protect those who have been injured through the negligent actions of others. Our Florida personal injury settlement attorneys have been involved in a number of landmark cases. Some of these changed Florida law, had a significant impact on the personal injury field, and one case is even taught in law school. Below we share summaries of some of the verdicts and personal injury lawsuit settlements we have obtained on behalf of our clients.
Landmark Accident Cases:
The Miami, Florida personal injury lawsuit attorneys at Freidin • Dobrinsky • Brown & Rosenblum P.A. not only protect the rights of victims, but also help to drive change by making our communities safer. Our landmark cases have changed Florida Law and are a major case of study in Florida Law Schools. Here are some of the landmark cases our firm has been involved in:
THE ESTATE OF LIDIA GIANGRANDI, by and through LILI CARISSA GIANGRANDI as Personal Representative of the Estate, vs. 50 STATE SECURITY SERVICE, INC., After eight years of litigation, on September 23, 2011, a Miami-Dade County jury returned a $4.78 million verdict in a negligent security case. Mrs. Giangrandi was murdered in her bedroom by an intruder who broke into the house in the early morning hours of January 6, 2003. At trial, the Plaintiff alleged that the Defendant, 50 State Security Service, Inc., was negligent in the execution of its post orders, which required that the security guards maintain a continuous mobile patrol of the neighborhood. The Plaintiff further alleged that had the security company properly performed its duties, the intruder would have been deterred and would never have attempted to enter the home.
The Defendant, 50 State Security Service, Inc., denied any wrong-doing and further called a retired FBI agent, who specialized in profiling criminals, to testify that the individual who murdered Mrs. Giangrandi was not capable of being deterred. 50 State Security Service, Inc. further alleged that if anyone was at fault it was ADT, the alarm company that protected the house, and Mrs. Giangrandi who left her bathroom window open.
Ultimately, the jury concluded that both 50 State Security Service, Inc. and ADT shared the responsibility and awarded the three surviving daughters (ages 24, 19 and 16 at the time of their mother’s death) significant damages for their pain and suffering. The jury further found that Mrs. Giangrandi was not at fault.
In the trial of West v. Caterpillar, we successfully broke new ground on a novel point in the Florida Supreme Court by establishing the doctrine of Strict Product Liability in Florida. As a result of our case, consumers and bystanders injured by defective products were for the first time able to hold the manufacturer or seller of such products liable without proof of negligence. This 1975 decision permanently changed the law in Florida in favor of persons injured by unsafe products and is studied in Florida's law schools.
In Goode v. Walt Disney World, we obtained a multi-million dollar jury verdict in Orlando, Florida, for the parents of a 4-year-old child who drowned at Disney World. This case solidified the responsibility that amusement parks have to their patrons to provide a safe environment. This case was resisted with all the might of the Disney Corporation through two trials and four appeals over nine years of litigation. It ultimately resulted in payment of the highest jury award ever entered against any Disney park to that date, and was the subject of national news coverage.
In Schwartz v. H.B.A. Management, Inc. our advocacy established the right of plaintiffs' attorneys to contact and speak with the former employees of a defendant nursing home while preparing for trial. Although this was a nursing home case, it created a critical trial preparation tool for plaintiff attorneys against all defendant corporations. Before we won this ruling, plaintiffs could only learn what ex-employees knew by taking costly and time consuming depositions and only after they were debriefed by defense counsel.
In Powell v. Prudential, we secured an appellate opinion that insurance companies are always required to make good faith settlement offers even in the absence of a request or demand from the plaintiff. This case made it easier for all injured plaintiffs to recover damages against insurance companies.
In Webb v. Priest, we established important pretrial discovery rules requiring defendant doctors to disclose their opinions about their own conduct and that of their colleagues. This case helped break down the so-called "conspiracy of silence" among doctors.
The partners in the firm have a long history of landmark personal injury accident cases and protecting victims rights' in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, insurance bad faith, automobile accidents, and consumer fraud in State and Federal Courts throughout Florida, including Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Brevard, Orange, Volusia, St. John's, Duval, Leon, Escambia, Alachua, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Lee and Collier counties, as well as in other states. Our Miami, Florida accident claim compensation attorneys are willing to handle and try a injury case anywhere in Florida or in any other state in association with out-of-state law firms.
Sample Florida Personal Injury Jury Verdicts:
The Florida personal injury lawsuit attorneys at Freidin • Dobrinsky • Brown & Rosenblum P.A. have participated in hundreds of jury trials. Here are some of the more than 300 jury verdicts we have received for our clients.
- $5,800,000 - Brain Damage - Vallescura v. Mitsubishi
- $5,250,000 - Drunk Driver Accident - Levine
- $3,900,000 - Drunk Driver Accident - Valle
- $3,374,000 - Severe Arm Injury - Vetter v. Byron
- $1,900,000 - Automobile Accident - Owens v. Prudential
- $1,200,000 - Car Crash/Brain Damage - Harris v. P.T. Petrocorp
- $640,587 - Scooter & Automobile Accident/Head & Leg Injuries - Adams v. Saavedra
- $615,000 - Car Accident/Head Trauma - Levine v. State Farm
- $478,000 - Car Accident - Boykins
- $38,000,000 - Philip Freidin and Randy Rosenblum along with co-counsel Mark Poses obtained a $38 million verdict for twin boys who were rendered blind due to the defendant doctor's malpractice after they were born premature. The lawyers at Freidin & Dobrinsky proved to a Ft. Myers jury that had the doctor properly screened and diagnosed the two infants, their sight would have been saved.
- $12,700,000 - Negligent Care/Brain Injury - M.N. v. Miami Children's Hospital
- $2,200,000 - Failure to Disclose Malpractice - Goldberg v. Lipkin
- $2,000,000 - Emergency Room Negligence - Soto v. Palm Springs Hospital
- $1,800,000 - Infant Brain Injury - Louis v. Barhoush
- $1,000,000 - Doctor Malpractice - Massar v. Phillips
Personal Injury / Wrongful Death
- $1,100,000 - Carbon Monxide Poisoning - Calvin v. Metro-Dade
- $1,200,000 - Security Guard Injury - Dailey v. Eagle Army-Navy
- $2,000,000 - Sexual Harassment - Griffin v. City of Opa Locka
- $1,500,000 - Sexual Assault - J.W., a minor v. School in South Florida
- $329,838 - Wrongful Termination of Employment - O.I. v. Building Solutions Company
The partners in the firm have a long history of achieving successful jury verdicts for victims of personal injury, medical malpractice, insurance bad faith, automobile accidents, and consumer fraud in State and Federal Courts throughout Florida, including Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Brevard, Orange, Volusia, St. John's, Duval, Leon, Escambia, Alachua, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Lee and Collier counties, as well as in other states. Our Florida personal injury settlement attorneys are willing to handle and try a case anywhere in Florida or in any other state in association with out-of-state law firms.
Sample Florida Personal Injury Settlements:
Our excellent trial record has lead to significant out-of-court settlements. We are known among defense lawyers and insurance companies as being formidable opponents. Here are some of the personal injury settlements we have obtained for our clients:
- $1,200,000 - Wrongful Death Auto Accident - D.G. v. Rental Car Company
- $1,000,000 - Bus/Bicycle Accident - C.R. v. Metro-Dade County
- Settlement - Motorcycle Accident - DM v. Tourist & Rental Agency
- Settlement - Airbag Injury - D.G. v. Chrysler
Insurance Bad Faith
- $1,300,000 - Fail to Pay Life Insurance Policy - R.S. v. Prudential
- $1,000,000 - Failure to Treat Menegitis Infection - B.W. a minor v. State Hospital
- $725,000 - Prescription Medicine Overdose - T.W. v. Humana & Eckerd
- $700,000 - Automobile Accident Injury - M.M. v. Insurance Company
- $3,000,000 - Child Birth Death - Estate of N.C. v. Hospital & Doctors
- $1,875,000 - Wrongful Death of a Child - A.L. v. A local hospital
- $1,400,000 - Brain Damage - C.M. v. Hospital
- $1,000,000 - Failure to Treat Child - G.B. v. A Local Hospital
- $1,000,000 - Medical Negligence - Bell v. Plantation General
- $900,000 - Failure to Diagnose and Treat Cancer - Estate of L.A. v. USA
- $825,000 - Failure to Treat Stroke - A.W. v. Doctor & Hospital
- $800,000 - Infant Prenatal Injuries -T.S., a minor v. R.S. M.D. & Hospital
- $700,000 - Patient Death - Estate of B.S. v. Hospital
- Settlement - Heart Surgery Error - KG v. Hospital
Personal Injury / Wrongful Death
- $1,075,000 - Car Accident - M.J.S. v. Various Companies
- Settlement - Seaman Hand Injury - K.L. v. Commercial Cruise Ship
- Settlement - Police Injury - O.W. v. Assisted Living Facility
- Settlement - Pelvis Injury - L.S. v. Delivery Company
- Settlement - Body Wars Injury - N.W. v. Walt Disney
- $1,800,000 - Security Wrongful Death - Estate of L.G. v. Security Company
- $700,000 - Restaurant Parking Lot Injury - R.S. v. Denney's
- Settlement - Slip and Fall Cruise Ship Injury - M.C. v. Cruise Ship
- Settlement - Trip and Fall Injury - R.A. v. Condominium
- $32,000,000 (Class Action) - Deceptive Sweepstakes Mailing - Class v. American Family Publishers (AFP)
- $3,100,000 - Plane Crash - 3 Victims v. 2 Companies
- $2,500,000 - Bedsores/Elder Abuse - Estate of I.C. v. Nursing Home
- $930,000 - Nursing Home Negligence - F.L. v. Nursing Home
- $827,000 - Airplane Crash - Estate of F.O. v. Airline Company & General Motors Corp
- Settlement - Airline Crash - M.B. v. American Airlines
The partners in the firm have a long history of achieving successful lawsuit settlements for victims of personal injury, medical malpractice, insurance bad faith, automobile accidents, and consumer fraud in State and Federal Courts throughout Florida, including Miami-Dade, Monroe, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Brevard, Orange, Volusia, St. John's, Duval, Leon, Escambia, Alachua, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Lee and Collier counties, as well as in other states. Our Miami, Florida personal injury attorneys are willing to handle and try a case anywhere in Florida or in any other state in association with out-of-state law firms.